Saturday, October 24, 2009

You Are the Apple of My Eye


We have been blessed with an abundance of apples. We have been blessed to share them with family and friends, enjoy them dipped into Carmel Apple Dip, and are in the process of retrieving juice from said apples.
Steve working on his amazing apple press
Steve is working on his apple press and
had plans for an Apple Festival.
Carter was indispensable in helping

(Rain may change his plans) I plan to bottle Pearl’s Apple Pie Filling. I also have plans for Apple Crumble Pie and Apple Crisp. I tried a new recipe-Apple Cake. Please see the reviews following the recipe. I found this recipe in the Mormon Essentials Cookbook. It was so easy to make. And by the way, Steve is the apple of my eye…..although there are lots of little apples in there also.
I will be trying new recipes from time to time and sharing the results.

Apple Cake Before the tasting
Apple Cake

1 ½ c. oil
2 c. sugar

3 eggs

3 c. flour
1 tsp. Salt

1 tsp. Cinnamon

1 tsp. Baking soda

1 tsp. Vanilla

3 c. peeled and thinly sliced apples

Beat oil and sugar. Add the eggs and beat until mixture is Creamy. In a separate bowl sift together flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda. Stir into batter. Add apples and vanilla. Bake 350* for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool and frost.
Cream Cheese Frosting

1 8 oz. pkg. Cream cheese softened

½ c. butter, melted

1 16 oz. Pkg. Powdered sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla

Cream the cheese. Blend with butter. Add sugar and vanilla. Beat Well.

Unsolicited reviews:
"What's this apple-ish stuff? Is it apple? It's good."
Carter J.
"Ummm I like it. Do you like it? Ummmmm"
Steve J
Sorry, that is all the reviews I could get. I just work with what I have!

"Delectable."
Morgan G.
"MMMMM"
Colton G.

3 comments:

Lesley said...

I loved your review about apples....especially the part about Steve being the apple of youe eye. Tender moment.

Stephanie said...

I liked the apple cake, but I felt like it had too much frosting on it. It was pretty sweet and probably would have been great without the frosting... just my opinion. ;)

Stecky said...

I took this to work for my birthday treat. It was well received. Some people even told me they had multiple pieces.